Although it may seem like a hassle and a nuisance to stand out in the rain, the best time to see if your gutters are working correctly is during rainy days. This is because rain can expose gutter problems you might be having. Whether you look out the window or stand in the rain, inspect your gutter system the next time it rains. If you see any of the following, it could mean your gutter system is not working properly.
Gutter Issues to Watch Out For
- Water that is overflowing from your gutter system
- Water that is overshooting your gutter entirely
- Leaking from a part of the gutter
- Water that is escaping between the gutter and the fascia
- A large quantity of water pooling by the foundation
Causes to Why You Are Seeing These Issues
- Gutters are clogged
The most common culprit of gutter overflow is a clogged system or downspout. If any part of the gutter system, including the downspout, is clogged with debris or pests, then water is unable to flow correctly. This will then lead to overflow.
- Gutters are too small
Another possible cause to your gutters always overflowing when there are heavy downpours is because they are too small. If this is the reason, you might need to have your gutter system replaced with an oversized system.
- There is a crack in your gutter or a damaged piece
If you find that your gutter is leaking from one part of the gutter in a spot that it should not, then this is a clear sign that there is some type of crack or damage to this part of the gutter. If you have sectional gutters and a seam is leaking, the repair is usually easy.
- Improper gutter installation
You should not be able to see water leaking between the gutter and the fascia board. Also, if water is overshooting your system entirely, this could also be a sign of improper installation. In either case, this can cause water to fall down the siding of your house and right to the foundation, which can possibly cause damages to your foundation.
- If you notice an excessive amount of water sitting at the foundation, this could be an indication that something is not right with your gutter system. Gutters that work the right way will allow water to flow properly and away from your home and its foundation.
Keep in mind that it is normal for water droplets to run down the front of your gutter. This happens because of the water’s natural tendencies to take the path of least resistance. It is not unusual for droplets of water to land and/or form on the lip of your gutters.
What to Do When Issues Are Identified
If you notice any of the warning signs listed above during heavy rainfall, it is a good indication that your gutter system needs to be cleaned, repaired, or replaced. If this is the case, contact GutterPros today to get a free estimate. Call us at (314) 656-7195 so we can help identify what gutter problems your system is undergoing and so we can offer the best solution to fix it!